I thought might be a good time to talk about games hehe
Games that I thought were great fun in 2011 (in no particular order):
- Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (DS) – yea I know kinda old but I got round to playing it all the way through in 2011. I generally prefer turn based combat, so that aspect of the game worked really for me. The story was quite interesting too, basically about humanity becoming too greedy and consuming all resources so some type of force comes into existence to wipe the earth of humanity so everything can start again. There were quite a few interesting characters. I played this on the 3DS and wished at times it was made for the 3DS. I’d love a similar RPG on the 3DS.
- Samurai Warriors Chronicles (3DS) – first game I got for the 3DS. At first I though I would get bored, since at a basic level it is a hack and slash game, but I wound up enjoying it a fair bit! I quite liked that they kept the japanese voices. It added a nice element to the historical aspect of the game. I was also lucky to get a couple of StreetPasses with it. The StreetPass was fairly basic where you would just create a little party of characters and assign a weapon to share. Fun little game.
- The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (3DS) – I was unsure about this game at first. I had good and bad memories when I first played the Nintendo 64 version – mostly bad memories though, relating to the controls. I just could never aim properly or correctly or in time, which frustrated the hell out of me, so I gave up on it (same issue with Majora’s Mask, plus the whole 1 day cycle irritated me as well). So you can understand my trepidation on playing Ocarina again. But to my surprise due to the nature of the 3DS, the controls were super easy for me to use! I finally completed Ocarina of Time 🙂 And yes I enjoyed the game. Certainly a great game to experience.
- Dragon Age 2 (PC) – I read how a lot gamers didn’t really like DA2, but on playing through it I quite enjoyed it! The combat was faster and felt more visceral and it still kept the pause option, so I quite enjoyed that. The characters were quite interesting too. There were a couple of issues I did have with the game: repetitive use of environs (same cave and coast reused, stuck in the city) and the way some of the battles were scripted (extra waves “beaming in”, too many waves appearing). Other than that, I enjoyed the quests and the storyline. The ending was quite epic and look forward to DA3 – which I’m hoping is a mix of DA1 and DA2 and perhaps a dash of open world like Skyrim 😉
- Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) – I really believe this should’ve been a launch game for the 3DS (if not this, then at least Zelda). Anyways, this is a pretty fun game 😀 Very typical Mario platformer. The initial worlds I would somewhat agree are simple (though I did find some parts challenging). The final battle with bowser was done in a brilliant way and presented just as brilliantly 🙂 Then another 8 worlds unlock with a special character unlock after the first world 🙂
- Mario Kart 7 (3DS) – This feels a little better than Mario Kart Wii. The online features are certainly a lot more superior! The communities idea is a great idea and using your existing friend list just makes it easier to play online.
- Letter Box (Swapnote) (3DS) – probably THE killer app for the 3DS. I’ve had so much fun with this app! And its entertaining to see how creative other people are 🙂 Some things I want Nintendo to add/adjust: a way to organise friends by groups/communities, even simpler, allow you to assign a colour as a background for each friend on the list, then you can make your own group based off the colour. Then in Letter Box when you are selecting people to post a message to you can see which people are in which group. Also, some more control over messages needs to be put in, being able to continue replying to existing messages, multi delete. But for me, I think being able to organise friends into your own groups is a major want. Eventually I would like to see it integrated into the 3DS OS so it is just part of the friend list (it should act more like an I.M. client really).
- Tales of the Abyss (3DS) – First major RPG for the 3DS! Even though it’s a port of a PS2 – a game that actually never got released in the PAL region (meaning never came to Australia), so this is a first experience for me. So far, the game has been quite good. Combat – hmm I’m still not 100% sure about it and don’t quite understand it fully. I like the characters and story though. I want more RPGs for the 3DS 🙂 (can’t wait for Paper Mario though!)
- Xenoblade (Wii) – WOW amazing game for the Wii 🙂 I have to see it has pretty impressive music! My favourite being the music for the Gaur Plains (that you encounter fairly early in the game, and stay there for a fairly long time too). Here’s a sample:httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6UhV3E2H6w&hd=1
The art style, character development and story in the game are outstanding. Am thoroughly enjoying it and should continue playing it and finish it 🙂 (have been distracted by Skyrim LOL, but am taking a break )
Might stop there for now. Will make another post when more games pop into my mind.